This writing originally appeared as a series of tweets, then as a Medium post. Now I’m reposting it here, on my personal blog. The tweets and Medium post received an incredible amount of feedback – it’s clear that folks are seeking community, healing, and survival methods at this time, and I wanted to make sure this list of self-care tips was accessible to everyone visiting my blog itself for years to come.
I love the emphasis on self-care floating around the internet right now in the wake of the election. I also want to elevate self-care methods that don’t require access to money.
If you are able to treat yourself, great, but not everyone can do that. (I suggest donating to progressive organizations if you do have money.)
Here are some self-care ideas that don’t revolve around money and capitalism:
- First and foremost, drink a glass of water! Your body needs it.
- If you are able, and you feel safe to, take a walk. Whether it’s around your town or your apartment complex, it may feel good to move your body.
- If you are not able to go for a walk or go outside, open a few windows in your home or sit on your deck. The fresh air will feel good.
- Visit your local animal shelter or sanctuary. The animals will thank you, and you can take comfort in spending time with new fuzzy friends.
- Pick up your most favorite book and begin it again. Returning to something you love could help to ground you.
- If you have candles in your home, burn a few. Close your eyes, let the scents mingle together, and take some deep, calming breaths.
- Right before going to sleep, wash your sheets, take them out of the dryer still hot, and make your bed. Let the warmth envelop your body.
- If you have the ingredients, bake your favorite dessert. Keeping your hands busy might soothe the anguish of “what can I do now?”
- If you are unable to get out of bed, try doing something that doesn’t require much bodily movement: reading, writing, watching a movie.
- If you are able to and want to, masturbate. It might help relieve stress. You are allowed to focus on your pleasure. You deserve pleasure.
- Take a hot shower. If washing your body or hair feels like too much, that’s okay. Just let the water wash over you.
- Create something, even if just for yourself. We need your creative energies in this world. Resistance through creativity is radical.
Please, please take care of yourself in this traumatic time. The world needs you in it. You are important, and I care about you.
Do you have any self-care methods you love that don’t revolve around money and capitalism? Please do share them in the comments.